The Spirit of Giving
How the act of Giving generates Flow
I don’t know about you, but this time of year can be quite fraught for me. There’s the end of year whirlwind with work, accounts, school activities, and reminders of all the things I didn’t get to, through the year (gulp!). Then finally, when we make it through the December crush, the preparations (and spend) for time at home, with family and friends and the mad scramble to organise gifts, sets in. In the Season of Giving, we can so easily lose our connection with the Spirit of Giving itself.
The true Spirit of Giving doesn’t require a big budget or lots of preparation time.
The Spirit of Giving is actually a lens through which to view our life and our connection to it, and it is one of the most potent forces we have at our disposal to generate flow.
Flow is when our bodies, minds, hearts and spirits are aligned and connected with our life field, consciously. When we are in a state of flow, we are happy and in my observation, people who operate in flow are well, vital, grateful, successful and fulfilled.
Being in flow doesn’t mean we don’t experience challenges; this is simply the nature of life. But it does mean that we move through them quite differently – with presence and grace. Flow allows a momentum, which steers us into higher possibilities because flow brings the realisation that we, our life field, our relationships and all that we experience, are inextricably linked. Flow also enables greater flow. Just like how a healthy flowing river shapes and widens its banks, flow expands our awareness and capacity and vastly changes our inner landscape and connection with life.
People come to my meditation classes and healing sessions for all sorts of reasons. But if I were to distil those reasons down, I could say that most of them are related to a disconnection with flow. This disconnection may be presenting as a physical illness, or low vitality, or a feeling of lack in love and abundance, or a lack of sense of purpose. These seem to be the big four and when we are out of flow we see these aspects as separate from us, as things to be attained and held on to, as things that we lack. And, we sense our life is blocked or stagnant in some way. When we are disconnected from flow, we are disconnected from life.
Vitality, love, abundance and fulfilment are aspects of flow and giving them unconditionally and consciously triggers their movement into and through our life experience, and it has a multiplier effect.
It generates the flow of these energies not only through us, but also through those we engage with, in the Spirit of Giving. When others experience giving, they are more likely to give. Just like how rivers flow, join with other rivers and all converge in the sea.
Here are some simple ways to connect with the Spirit of Giving and generate flow.
Remember, this is energy work and so it’s not the size or expense of the gift itself, but the conscious expression of the Spirit of Giving that holds all the power. When we view vitality, abundance, love and purpose as fields of energy, rather than states of being, then we can become empowered to bring their influence and presence into our lives, by giving them to others. We are, in essence, generators.
If you are feeling a lack of love or acknowledgment:
- Send a message or make a call to someone you love when they pop through your mind or when you dream of them.
- Say ‘I Love you’ to loved ones when they say or do something that stirs your heart. Just say it more anyway.
- Consciously express gratitude when you are touched by someone else or given a gift. Don’t leave it till too late – return that energy in full.
- Once a week, do something caring for someone without any reason, fanfare, or expectation of reciprocation.
- Practice Brahmavihara Cultivation. This is one of the beautiful meditations covered in my online meditation course Return.
If you are feeling a lack of abundance in your life:
- Nurture gratitude for the things you have and enjoy what’s around you. A gratitude journal is great for this.
- Be generous whenever you can. Shout your friend that coffee. Invite friends to share a meal at your table.
- Recycle unused items in your home. Even if it is your favourite dress, but you haven’t worn it in two years, give it to someone who will.
- Regularly encourage your children to do the same with outgrown toys and books.
- Volunteer your time to people in need. It doesn’t have to be a lot of time, but the action itself will trigger the flow of abundance. Just try it and see!
- Practice heart-centered meditations like gratitude contemplation, for example. Gratitude Cultivation is covered in my online meditation course Discovery. And eight beautiful heart-centered meditations are coming your way soon in my next online meditation series Heart Light.
If you are feeling a lack of vitality or illness in your life:
- Give your body the rest, nutrients and sunshine it needs.
- Give your sound-scape positive energy. Stop complaining and use the mantra: “I am healthy and vital by design and sovereign right.”
- Nurture a positive attitude towards your body and your body will start to express it.
- Recognize the health and vitality in others around you and express it to them.
- Gift your home with symbols of vitality. Bring in fresh flowers, herbs and fruits.
- Make one small change to your daily habit that improves the health of the Earth. Recycle, take your cloth bags for grocery shopping, switch from plastics to biodegradables where possible. Our vitality is linked directly to the vitality of the Earth.
- Give vitality-related gifts to your friends. Bake an organic cake. If you see some beautiful mangoes at the market, buy an extra for your work colleague.
- Practice body-based meditations like Yoga Nidra. See my online meditation course Return for this.
If you are feeling a lack of purpose
- Give yourself time to pursue activities that make your heart sing; that you love. The clues to your soul-purpose lie in what inspires you and makes you vibrate.
- Practice meditation to draw into presence and to know yourself and your design and talents. This is what Discovery is all about.
- Give your attention to other purpose-led people around you and acknowledge that aspect in them.
And remember, when you choose any one of my offerings, you are contributing to a much larger river of goodwill that supports many others and the environment. You can find out more about my goodwill focus here, which is an essential energetic aspect of my business and personal life, which I know generates flow. I wrote about giving and business in my blog post How Cultivating a Spirit of Giving is Good for Business.
These small simple expressions of the Spirit of Giving generate flow and engage us consciously with life and others.
Let the Season of Giving begin!
If you have any questions or thoughts about the spirit of giving and how it can benefit your life, do get in touch. You can also visit my website to explore courses and useful content to guide you on your path to healing, self-discovery and mindful living.
If you enjoyed this post and would like to share it, I request that you please credit Danielle Van de Velde as the author. I do not authorise repurposing or republishing without my written permission. You may email me for the same.